Exposed electrics in fresh water?
Posted: Jun 16th, 2012, 3:32 pm
Right, so I'm planning on making a small (bath-tub / garden pond scale) ROV as a father-son project. We're keeping stuff simple to start off with.
I've played with a MadLab ROV (http://www.madlab.org/kits/rov.html) that had exposed electrical connections and motors without being modified to be waterproof. They were running problem-free at about 3V.
To my question(s)...
What sort of voltage can be run in fresh (ish) water before you get problems with things shorting out?
And, for future reference (assuming #2 son keeps interest in it), what would be the situation in salt water?
I've played with a MadLab ROV (http://www.madlab.org/kits/rov.html) that had exposed electrical connections and motors without being modified to be waterproof. They were running problem-free at about 3V.
To my question(s)...
What sort of voltage can be run in fresh (ish) water before you get problems with things shorting out?
And, for future reference (assuming #2 son keeps interest in it), what would be the situation in salt water?