Hello from Bournemouth in the UK

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
zpyder

Hello from Bournemouth in the UK

Post by zpyder »

Hello all from Bournemouth, Dorset, UK

Where to start...(sorry, it's a long introduction...I somehow managed to build an ROV before discovering this place!)

I've had an interest in photography and experimenting with gadgetry from a very young age. I've spent the last 10 (almost 10 anyway) years at Bournemouth University, 4 as a student, 5.5 as a member of staff in the "Applied Science" school, doing various things including being a research assistant, an administrator, as well as a demonstrator and lab technician.

My degree at University was Environment & Coastal Management, and in all my roles I've always enjoyed bringing my photographic interests to play.

One project that I was involved in, (started off as a personal project, and then ended up getting used!) - was baited cameras to deploy on our local "surf reef". The cameras we decided to use were GoPro Heros.

When we received a Hero 3, it got me thinking, whether the wireless capabilities could be used to get a live feed to the surface. I knew wifi didn't work through water very well, but looked in to it anyway. My searches brought me across two things. First, a youtube user had posted an ROV that used a Hero2, with a router placed near it on an ROV, to get a signal to the surface. I then found Doug Levins "ROV in a Bucket" guide, and slowly but surely, over a few months, I came to the conclusion that I too would give it a go!

I was made redundant at the end of July, and so a few weeks ago, I began building my ROV. I didn't really have much of a plan, no designs so to speak. When I built the frame, I literally just cut a few lengths of tube and decided upon the size that way, and what looked "right". My experience of electronics of this kind were pretty much non-existent, I've learned so much, and already have plans for other designs, if I can scrape together the funds!

Below are some photos of the build...

Initial frame design. I've used part of the packaging from the GoPro as the attachment bracket for the camera. I learned early on that for future projects, PVC piping, though a little more expensive, would be better than Polypropylene, as you can't glue/solvent weld PP! Everything is held together using cable ties. At least I can make the excuse I can easily modify the frame design in the field!
Frame 2 by Chris_Moody, on Flickr

Camera attached, also added two pontoons/floats to the top.
Frame 3 by Chris_Moody, on Flickr

Here I've put the tether together, and attached the 3 bilge pump motors. You can also see the start to the networking. The tether is 4x 25m lengths of 16 gauge speaker cable, and a 30m Cat6 Ethernet cable.
Progress by Chris_Moody, on Flickr

Tether by Chris_Moody, on Flickr

Here's the control box. The left and right switches are moment DPDT switches, so they return to neutral when pressure is removed. The Vertical switch stays on in either direction if needed. Inside the box is the surface router, which a smartphone or tablet computer can connect to to see the camera feed.
Controller by Chris_Moody, on Flickr

Powered by a car jumper battery. Just to be safe I wired in a fuse.
power by Chris_Moody, on Flickr

And a close up of the gubbins. It's since been tidied a bit. The resin block behind the camera contains a small wireless repeater. All the electronic connections have been encased in resin.
Props by Chris_Moody, on Flickr

Yesterday it went out for its maiden voyage at a local quayside. The visibility was quite poor, but at least it got wet. Up until this point I didn't know whether the frame would float/balance/sink, electronics leak, wifi signal work etc. I had a list of things in my head that could well go wrong. However, it seems the balance is pretty good, I could do with a little more weight, but the vertical thruster is more than able to "dive". The side thrusters have ample power to move around fairly quickly too! Wifi signal wasn't 100% solid, but was good enough.

Below is a video from the very first ever test run, of my very first ever ROV build!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqVNGCor3M

So what next? I'm contemplating some kind of arm on the front. If I could do it all again, I'd like to add more thrusters, a pair on the sides that would allow for sideways movement, rather than turning. I imagine this would be quite useful in combination with a robotic arm! Though the GoPro works well in this context, I'm wondering whether a cabled camera might work better. There is a slight (1 second) delay between the feed and real life, which makes piloting a bit hard.

I'm off to a marina tomorrow where there will be a bit more depth and hopefully clearer water.

Hopefully this hasn't been too long or boring for you to read. I apologise if it was!
soulreaper

Re: Hello from Bournemouth in the UK

Post by soulreaper »

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Your rov is awesome. Thanks for posting the video. Keep the vidoes coming..
zpyder

Post by zpyder »

Second trip out. The vertical motor seems to have developed some bad vibrations during the course of the dive:

ERIEWRECKDIVER

Post by ERIEWRECKDIVER »

Looks like you have been very successful so far. It blows me away that you have underwater audio that goes with your video. But why not? The great part about that is that you can hear thrusters. I'm guessing that the mic is built into your camera so it is an added feature and not by design. Still very cool when you watch the video. I can't say I have ever seen a ROV feed with sound.

Keep up the good work and welcome to the Forum.

ErieWreckDiver
zpyder

Post by zpyder »

Yeah, the gopro has a mic built in. Not sure how useful the sound is underwater, at the least I guess I could hear the vertical thruster slowly getting more wobble over the course of the dive. You don't get sound on the live preview app though...
zpyder

Post by zpyder »

Annoyingly, GoPro has just announced the 3+ model, which has improved WiFi capabiltities. Decided to try and swap my 3 edition for the 3+, to see if it's improved the signal at all!
ERIEWRECKDIVER

Post by ERIEWRECKDIVER »

So I'm sorry but I'm not quite clear here. How are you using the wifi? Is it for the camera or control or both? I see that your tether has what looks to be 12/2 for your power down to the ROV. Then I see another cable which I would guess is CAT5 for low voltage control. But I could be all wrong.

Anyway, I must say. For a guy who says that he is not electronically inclined and is a beginner. WOW. You have been very successful. Even with limited visibility water conditions, your video capture is outstanding. Your design is very simple and you are using what seems to be off the shelf products. You should be very proud of your success.

There are guys on this forum that are using equipment and systems that are so far beyond me. I applaud your keeping it simple. Plus with the wifi....there are many on here who have said that; "It can't be done." If you are using wifi underwater you are proving many wrong.

Anyway. Please keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

EireWreckDiver
ERIEWRECKDIVER

Post by ERIEWRECKDIVER »

Another question.
How are you doing your video capture? Is it to a laptop?

ErieWreckDiver
zpyder

Post by zpyder »

Thanks, the wifi is just for being able to see what the rov camera sees, as well as camera control. By this I mean start/stop recording functions, changing from video to still images, telling the camera to take a photo in still photo mode etc. Actual control of the rov is via the 3 motor switches.

Cable wise, 1 speaker cable powers the wifi repeater, with a 12v to 5v converter in line. the ether net cable is to send the video preview data to the surface router, which the tablet running the preview software is connected to.

as to recording the video, it's all stored on a microsd card on the camera. the live video preview is low resolution, but is stored in hd on the camera. GoPro cameras can record in massive resolutions and high frame rates, but low light picture quality is better at lower frame rates and and resolutions, but this includes 1080p.

But yes, wifi can be done underwater, just!
ERIEWRECKDIVER

Post by ERIEWRECKDIVER »

I just have to say Well Done.

You are inspiring me to get back to working on mine. The ROV is complete, I just need to get all of the topside stuff done. I do need to cut myself some slack. I moved all the way across the country this summer and have just started a new job, so I have been very busy and distracted. But I want to get back to my project.

Please keep in touch and have fun.

ErieWreckDiver